Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Last Frontier

I landed and nearly cried it was so beautiful. Unfortunately you can't have pictures until later. But just imagine a sea of mysterious fog hanging over a forest of dense wood surrounded by glistening waters of the Pacific. It was amazing.

I entered the airport to the "hallooos" of several lumberjack types. Interesting way to start the day. I didn't expect him to meet me inside the airport, but only a few minutes off the plane and there I was in one of the most beautiful embraces of my life. The man hugs well.

It hasn't been awkward. But it has been confusing. I still don't know what he is thinking. And communication is still hard even though I can see his face.

I am getting to know my way around. I am losing my bashfulness around new people. I adore Mike and Audrey, the couple with whom I am staying. I am really digging the morning walks in the rain, the afternoon coffees, the nights a movie and a boy. This place is really something else.

The team arrived today and I was happy to see some familiar faces. We start the work tomorrow and I am happy to know that I will be putting in some hard work.

May I just tell you that all of the emotion has me eating less and I've lost 4 lbs in the three days I've been here.

Some other things you should know:
1. I've seen so many bald eagles that I no longer believe you when you say they are endangered.
2. I've seen a glacier and learned that it has major melted in the last 10 years, and I don't care if you don't believe in Global warming. I do.
3. I've been to St. Terese's shrine and found the chapel in which I would like to be married. You may want to buy your tickets now. Just don't set a date... it may be 30 years before I meet the man I want to marry.
4. I've learned that I don't know everything. and that I am one snarky mcsnarkerson when I get tired.
5. I've been shown that I am still in love with little children. and that I want to teach them. and that I super love the church.

That's all for now.

-B.

No comments: