Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Embracing my picky palette

Lately, my sister has been determined to convince me and the world that I am, in fact, a picky eater. This is such a foreign concept for me, because I was raised to eat everything on my plate. I've always known that there are certain foods I don't care for, but lately I have found that, as an adult, I can pick and choose what I want to eat and what I don't.

I have found that I don't like any of the following:
  • Buttered popcorn
  • Caramel
  • Burritos (come on, it's like biting into a baby.. ew)
  • Ice cream with any chunks in it (whether its nuts or pieces of chocolate or candy. No chunks allowed)
  • Melons (this has always been true. I don't like any melons at all)
  • Chunky Peanut butter
  • Granola in my yogurt (are you sensing a theme?)
  • Milk
  • Most chocolate (anything you can buy at the grocery store basically)
  • White chocolate
  • Milk chocolate
  • Cheetos
  • plain potato chips
  • triscuits
  • wheat thins
  • crispy cookies
  • Any combination meats like salami or sausage
  • pasta with vinaigrette sauce
  • Black olives
  • Cheeseburgers (it weirds me out to put cheese on beef)
  • pickles on my burgers
  • ketchup
  • sour cream (if it's mixed in something and I can't tell it's sour cream, that's okay)
  • mayonnaise
  • Swedish meatballs
  • Pretty much meatballs in general
  • Sweet and sour anything
  • Tempura anything
  • Most Chinese food
  • sweet relish or sweet pickles
  • bitters
  • licorice
  • Anything that resembles or smells like licorice
  • Uni (I tried but man that texture is nasty)
  • hard boiled or over hard eggs
  • catfish
  • Fried chicken
  • S'mores
  • Marshmallows in general
  • Nutella
  • Minestrone soup
  • pretzels
  • Creme of anything soup
  • Corn chowder
  • Pinto beans

To be honest, there is a lot more but I got bored of making my list. What does it say about me that I am such a picky eater? I am concerned. Very very concerned.

However, today I found out that I really like iced double non-fat caramel lattes. They taste like popcorn in a strange way. This drink makes no sense to me, because it combines several things I highly dislike to produce a flavor I don't generally care for, and yet, I enjoyed it. What is the world coming to?

I also really like Lima beans. I think that might be unusual.

No comments: