Monday, October 19, 2009

Not now Arctic Puffin...

Alaskabenji came to see me this weekend. He was with us Friday night and Sunday night. Friday night was short and sweet. Sunday night was long and lovely. In between he went to Portland and I lived my normal life.

Saturday morning came quickly after my very late night with Alaskabenji. I was up and at 'em at 7:00, off to Cupcake Royale to take thank you sweets and coffee to my coworkers for all of the hard work they have put in on my behalf in the last month or so. Afterward I went home and rested a bit, got ready for choir and off I went. After choir I went to my neph's 2nd birthday. He is so big and his vocabulary is so amazing. I love that little kid.

Sunday was lovely. Cloudy with a Chance of meatballs in 3D with the close fam. Not only was it my first 3D movie (It gave me a headache...) but the story was adorable and brotherBen's laugh made it all fabulous. Afterward Alaskabenji came back and we had beers and cigars at Schultzy's with BenandJess. I slept (sort of) for 1.5 hours on the floor of my living room while Aladdin played in the background. It was a sweet short sleep. I have to say if I could keep Alaskabenji around only when I wanted him, I would be a happy camper. There are days I most certainly would send him back to the arctic, but other days I would keep him close by.

Christmas is in full swing. Every year I celebrate Christmas from October 15th-30th. I love it. It's just for me. I watched my two favorite Christmas movies this weekend with two of my favorite people. Friday night, while waiting for Alaskabenji to arrive, Jessica and I watched The Family Stone. If you have not seen this movie, then you have not seen the man I want to marry (Mr. Luke Wilson at his finest... except that one scene in The Royal Tennenbaum's when he cuts himself shaving. Holy Ishmael). I just love this movie and I cry every single time, during that last scene, around the Christmas tree, when Luke cries, "Then cried Max, 'Let the wild rumpus start!". Great flick. The other movie I watched on Sunday night. ELF is the best Christmas movie in the whole world. I also cry every time I see this one, right near the end, when the dad starts to sing and Santa's sleigh can finally fly after years of not having enough Christmas spirit. I love it. People raising their voices in the joy of humanity and in faith. It's seriously beautiful. This moment was particularly great this time. Although there is no fireplace in my apartment, I was warm and comfortable snuggled neatly under a blanket my mother made and placed ever so perfectly in crook of an Alaskan arm.

Needless to say, I was exhausted at work on Monday, and all I wanted to do was shout, "Not now Arctic Puffin!" every time someone tried to talk to me... but I made it through and now it is Tuesday.

No comments: