Friday, July 2, 2010

Books, love, humor, and a long weekend

Have I mentioned lately how much I love books? I love Louis L'Amore, Ernest Hemmingway, Evelyn Waugh. Mostly though, I love short stories. They enthrall me because they are not a whole story, but a snapshot in time. They are but a moment that leaves space for me to wonder, to imagine, what life would be like before and after. This is why series books are so difficult for me. Granted, I love Harry Potter, I read the whole Twilight series (because let's face it, as horrible as they are, they are very addicting*), Lord of the Rings, and of course, like every good Christian, all of the CS Lewis Series (Narnia and the Space Trilogy), but I have to say, they always leave me wanting. I hate that feeling at the end of full stories, whether a single book or a series, of not feeling complete. With short stories I expect the incomplete. I expect to absorb that moment, as I would absorb the moments of other people's lives I observe on the bus or my morning jaunt to the office. They are passing but with great effect. I love that about short stories.

In that, I've decided to begin work on a little piece of fiction I like to call "How to get into my pants: 10 ways to make this girl swoon" (Title in process). Now I know that this sounds like a naughty book, however the point is to talk about all of the stories (mainly hilarious, although sometimes poignant) I have slowly collected from my dating escapades in the last 10 years. For example, Chapter 1 is titled "On hotdogs, baseball, and beer." Chapter 2, "On intellect, wit, and charm." Chapter 3, "On Swagger"... and so on, ending of course with Chapter 10, "On Love."

I find myself in a position unique amongst friends who share like backgrounds. Admittedly, I do not know too many girls who have graduated from conservative Bible Colleges, without marrying sometime in the next 2 years. Of the girls I do know, I think I am one of maybe 3? that actually has an active dating life. I say three, because I know there have got to be girls that are in the same position, and I must know some of them, but I don't talk to them. I don't really know them. So this little writing experiment will tell my stories of horrible dates, hilarious dates, the teeth bumping kisses, the awkward goodnights, the bold "no's" to requests to spend the night, the tragic stories of lost love, missed chances, turned down proposals. I'll keep you posted on progress (maybe... I'm notoriously bad a progress reports).

On the topic of love, I am sadly lacking. I am, of course, still dating... but the stories, even the good ones, are starting to seem a bit bland. I think it's because my heart's not in it. I have more important stories to tell. But the stories of death, pain, cancer are all starting to wear on me, hence this lovely post that has nothing to do with any of the aforementioned. So I am going to dedicate some time in my long weekend to chick flicks, girl time, and giddiness. Maybe I'll even dig out a new man to spend a little time on... because sometimes you just need a good date.

Humorously, I find that my life is a bit haphazard. I know that isn't shocking to anyone who knows the ins and outs of my days, but I am beginning to take a humorous approach to my lopsided life. I fail often and now I must just laugh at all of the coming waves of missteps and follies which accessorize my days.

This weekend will be an accessory. I am determined to take time out for fireworks and fun. I have Monday off and will spend a bit of that at a spa with a lovely friend. Then the week of hard work (the big boss is visiting) and birthdays (my own and my sister-in-law's) and of course of Cornucopia days, at which I will be hard at work. So this weekend will be the eye in the storm... I hope.

Here's to life. La' Chaim.... coincidentally, I hope name one of my daughters Chaya.. because life should always be celebrated.

*Note: If you are a parent, I plead with you: Do not allow your daughters under age 16 to read the Twilight books. Not because they are unusually untoward, but rather because they teach false concepts of romantic love and dedication. I also suggest banning Christian Romance Novels, for the same reason.

No comments: